Our visit to Cambodia enhanced our understanding of the prevailing situation in that country. We remain deeply concerned about what is happening and about what may happen if events are allowed to follow the present course. But at the same time we are encouraged by many positive factors. We believe that, if one examines Cambodias present predicament in the full context of her historical, political and economic development, as one should, the Cambodians can be said to have already achieved a great deal in terms of reconstruction and rehabilitation in the past five years, and for this very reason we are confident that they have yet to realise their full potential in nation-building.
We believe that regional partnership is essential for the realisation of Cambodias full potential as a nation.
We believe that the futures of both Cambodia and ASEAN are closely linked together.
We believe that peace and prosperity in Cambodia depend upon her full participation in the processes of regional cooperation.
We believe that Cambodias present political predicament should not be used as a reason or a justification for keeping her out of ASEAN.
We believe that Cambodia should be admitted as a new ASEAN member this year.
27 May 1997
Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia
We, members of the Study Mission to Cambodia ( SMC ), would like to record our appreciation of the support given us by many individuals and institutions, without which we could not have completed our task within such a short of time. They provided us with valuable information and ideas, which enhanced our understanding of the situation in Cambodia. While we could not have proceeded with our mission without their wisdom and insights, we alone are responsible for the viewpoints and conclusions contained in this report.
We would like to express our gratitude to the following :
1. H.E. Anwar Ibrahim, Acting Prime Minister of Malaysia
2. His Royal Highness Samdech Krom Preah Norodom Ranariddh, First Prime Minister
3. His Excellency Samdech Hun Sen, Second Prime Minister
4. His Excellency Sar Kheng, Deputy Prime Minister and Minister of Interior
5. His Excellency Keat Chhon, Senior Minister of Rehabilitation & Reconstruction & Minister of Finance
6. His Excellency Ung Huot, Minister of Foreign Affairs & International Cooperation
7. His Excellency, Jose T Almonte, Director-General, National Security Council and Presidential Security Advisor, Philippines
8. His Excellency Nady Tan, Secretary General of the Royal Government
9. Her Excellency Madam Pok Marina, Under Secretary of State, Ministry of Foreign Affairs & International Cooperation
10. His Excellency Mr. Om Radsady, Chairman of the Foreign Affairs & International Cooperation & Media Committee of the National Assembly
11. His Excellency Kamal Ismaun, Ambassador of Malaysia to Cambodia
12. His Excellency Tran Huy Chuong, Ambassador of Vietnam to Cambodia
13. His Excellency Mushahid Ali, Ambassador of Singapore to Cambodia
14. H.E. Ahmad Yahya, Chairman of the Committee of Public Works and Transportation, Telecommunication and Post, Commerce, Industry, Mines and Energy of the National Assembly
15. Dr. Pok Than, President of the Center for Social Development Phnom Penh
16. Dr. Lao Mong Hay, Director of the Khmer Institute of Democracy, Phnom Penh
17. Mr. Kasie Noeu, Director of the Cambodian Institute of Human Rights, Phnom Penh (CIHR)
18. The Defenders Group, and other non-governmental organisations
19. Legal Aid of Cambodia
20. Dr. Ping Chhiv Kek Galabru, President of the LiCadho - Cambodian League for the Promotion and Defense of Human Rights
21. The Cambodian Institute for Cooperation and Peace (CICP)
22. The Institute for Policy Research, Malaysia
LIST OF SMC MEMBERS
1. M.R. Sukhumbhand Paribatra, Mission Leader, who is also a Member of Parliament of Thailand
2. Dr. Jesus Estanislao, President, University of Asia and the Pacific, Philippines, and former Secretary of Finance of the Philippines
3. Mr. M. Rajaretnam, the SMC Convenor, who is also the Director of Information and Resource Center, Singapore and Senior Visiting Fellow and Advisor, Renaissance Project, Institute for Policy Research, Malaysia
4. Mr. Abdul Rahman Adnan, Director, Institute for Policy Research (Institut Kajian Dasar -IKD), Malaysia
5. Ambassador Sabam Siagian, Member, Board of Advisors, Jakarta Post daily, Indonesia
6. Dr. George Manzano, Assistant Professor in Economics at the University of Asia and the Pacific, Philippines
7. Professor Dr. Zakaria Hj. Ahmad, Head of the Strategic and Security Studies Unit of Universiti Kebangsaan Malaysia
8. Dr. Lau Teik Soon, Member, Board of Advisors, Singapore Institute of International Affairs and former Member of Parliament, Singapore
9. Mr. Kraisak Choonhavan, Advisor to the Governor, Bangkok Metropolitan Administration, Thailand
10. Dr. Mohd Haflah Piei, the Deputy Director of the Malaysian Institute of Economic Research, Kuala Lumpur, and UNDP/AFTA Consultant for Cambodia
I. THE PRESENT SITUATION IN CAMBODIA
II. CAMBODIAS PREPAREDNESS FOR ASEAN
| Main || About IKD || Conferences/Events || Southeast Asia 2000 Project || Press Releases || Hyperlinks |
| Anwar Ibrahim || Inquiries |